Understanding Cleft Lip and Palate:
Cleft Lip and Palate means a hole in the lip or palate due to lack of development of speech organs before birth. These are common oral- facial problems since birth that often affect speech, hearing, feeding and physical appearance.
- Feeding problems, Unable to Suck and blow, Food comes out through nose.
- Milk teeth and permanent teeth may be missing or placed wrongly.
- Frequent ear pain, ear discharge (Otitis Media) and reduced hearing ability.
- Delayed speech and language problems.
- Air escapes through the nose due to the presence of the cleft.
- Speech sound errors– Deletion, addition, distortion and substitution errors.
- Airway obstruction.
Margdarsi deals with cleft lip & palate patients as a team, which includes:
Pediatrician, Plastic surgeon, Orthodontist/ prosthodontist, ENT specialist.
Speech Language Pathologist, Audiologist, Psychologist, Special Educator, Integration therapist.
Family and social support.
- At Margdarsi we have separate dedicated facilities for children with cleft lip and palate.
- We have established client centred process of post surgical rehabilitation which involves a client and his/her parent or caregiver as part of the rehabilitation process.
- Speech and language therapy.
- Oro motor exercises.
- Feeding therapy- Infant should be fed in the slightly upright position.
- After feeding, mouth needs to be cleaned and rinsed with water. Use of special feeding devices.
- Educational Therapy.
- Dentist- Provide suitable dental prosthesis and treat the dental carries.
- Recreational Therapy: Art, Craft, Dance, Music.
- Prosthesis Intervention.
- Parent training: Training the importance of speech & language stimulation.
- Our interventions vary depending on the nature and extent of the disability. We provide the least restrictive environment to a child for appropriate results.