What is ALS
Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) is also known as Lou Gehrig's disease. It is a disorder which gets worse over time as it kills the nerves cells in spinal cord and brain due to which there is loss of ability in muscles for physical activity. Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis often begins with weakness in a limb, muscle fatigue. Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis causes much difficulty and a lot of physical and emotional disorders.
- Difficulty in walking, Difficulty in doing activities of daily living
- Difficulty in speech and change in voice
- Difficulty in breathing, excessive mucous
- Tripping or falling, Weakness in arms, legs, feet
- Difficulty in swallowing, abnormal crying, laughing, yawning
- Change in behavior and cognition
Diagnosis A Neurologist or a Physician may diagnose ALS by clinical examination and using various tests including Electromyogram (EMG), Nerve conduction studies, Blood tests, Urine tests, Muscle biopsy, Spinal tap / Lumbar puncture etc
Can ALS be cured ?
Patients less than 35 to 40 years of age at onset had better chances of improvement. Mortality rates were found to be 6 times greater in patients who are facing psychological problems. Improvement in the quality of life is possible with the treatment. But reversing the motor neuron disorder may not be easy.
Treatment for Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis:-
- The neurological disorder cases are carefully studied for their need assessment. Rehabilitation is planned based on the need of the patient for Treatment for Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis.
- Margdarsi strongly believe on treating patient with evidence-based practice (Research based practice). The techniques of Neuro-Rehab approach to deal with ALS includes Proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation (PNF), Neuro developmental technique (NDT), Breathing therapy, Speech therapy, Occupational Therapy, Psychotherapy, Social therapy and much more is part of the package for Treatment for Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis.
- Use of assistive devices, orthosis / prosthesis, mobility aids and smart appliance can be part of the intervention.
- Margdarsi includes Biomedical intervention as a part of the treatment. This makes it unique treatment protocol to arrest the decline and restore functional skills.